DescriptionVarzuga is a rural village (pop. 370) on both sides of the Varzuga River near the White Sea (Murmansk Oblast). Varzuga was first mentioned in 1466 and is one of the first documented Russian settlements on the Kola Peninsula. Varzuga has one of the most important surviving wooden structures in Russia: the Church of the Dormition of the Virgin, built of logs in 1674. There are three other wooden churches in the village and several traditional log houses as well as a cemetery in the nearby sand dunes. This collection also includes views of two other villages: the regional center of Umba and the coastal village of Kuzomen'.
(121 - 144 of 287)