Ivangorod

Description

This subcollection from the William C. Brumfield Collection -- Photographs of Russian Architecture contains views of Ivangorod, a medieval fortress located in the town of the same name in Leningrad Province on the bank of the Narva river at the Estonian border. The main part of the fortress was built in 1493 by Muscovite Grand Prince Ivan III as a bulwark against the Livonian knights. Over the next two centuries the fortress was expanded and changed hands as a major point in the struggle between Moscovy and Sweden for Russia's outlet to the sea. The interior of the massive fortress contains churches and several towers. Also included are views of the Narva fortress (Estonia) across the small river.
(1 - 24 of 65)