James Freret Architectural Drawings

Description

James Freret Architectural Drawings features 150 projects from the office of 19th century New Orleans architect James Freret. Freret (1838-1897) was born in New Orleans to a prominent family. His mother was Livie (DArensbourg) Freret, his father James P. Freret operated a cotton press. His uncle was William Freret who served as mayor of New Orleans (1840-1842; 1843-1844), and his cousin was William A. Freret, also a prominent New Orleans architect. William A. and James collaborated on the completion of the cast iron constructed Moresque Building, which was begun by William A. before the Civil War, and completed by the cousins afterwards. Before the Civil War, James trained in the office of New Orleans architect George Purves. In the early 1860s, he studied at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris under Charles-Auguste Questal. Following the outbreak of the war, he returned to Louisiana to take a commission as an officer in the Confederate Armys engineering corps. After being wounded in battle, he returned to New Orleans before the end of the war, to take up work as an architect. Freret designed many important institutional and commercial structures in New Orleans and Louisiana, but was most prolific as a residential architect. This online collection includes many of his most important works, including buildings for the Little Sisters of the Poor (1886), the Gothic Revival Masonic Hall (1867-1871), the Jewish Widows and Orphans Home (1868), and proposals for four different designs for the congregation of Temple Sinai (1870). Residential plans include projects for many wealthy leading citizens of the day, but also more modest homes, including Frerets own home. These presentation drawings are executed on small 19 x 13 sheets, in delicate watercolor. Most sheets include an exterior front elevation and floor plans for one project, but a few sheets have two projects. The Southeastern Architectural Archive also has representation of many other important 19th century New Orleans architects, including father and son James Gallier, Sr. and Jr., brothers Charles Bingley and James H. Dakin, Richard Esterbrook, John Turpin, Thomas Sully, and many others.

Pages

Institutional No. 03
Two front elevations: Designed for Grunewald Hall, could be adapted for St. Patrick's Hall., seaa@tulane.edu
Institutional No. 04
A Design for the New Masonic Hall, New Orleans, 1867. Design includes front elevation., seaa@tulane.edu
Institutional No. 05
Front elevation design for the New Masonic Hall, New Orleans, 1868., seaa@tulane.edu
Institutional No. 06
Front elevation design for the New Orleans Masonic Hall., seaa@tulane.edu
Institutional No. 07
Floor and landscape plans with front elevation design for the Home for Jewish Widows and Orphans. Elevation corresponds to Institutional No. 8 plans., seaa@tulane.edu
Institutional No. 08
A Sketch for the Home for Jewish Widows and Orphans. Design includes plans for second and third floors. Plans correspond to Institutional No. 7 elevation., seaa@tulane.edu
Institutional No. 10
Main floor plans for the St. Vincent Infant Asylum on Magazine Street. Plans correspond to Institutional No. 9 plans., seaa@tulane.edu
Institutional No. 11
Design No. 20 for the St. Vincent Infant Asylum on Magazine Street, showing first floor plans. Plans correspond to Institutional No. 9 main floor plans., seaa@tulane.edu
Institutional No. 12
Floor plans with front and end elevation designs for an unidentified convent and school., seaa@tulane.edu
Institutional No. 13
Front and side elevations for a two-story framed Convent (Sisters of Mercy) in Jeannerette, Louisiana. Elevation corresponds to Institutional No. 14 plans., seaa@tulane.edu
Institutional No. 14
Plans for foundations basement and first and second floors for a two-story framed Convent in Jeannerette, Louisiana, for Sisters of Mercy. Plan correspond to Institutional No. 14 elevation., seaa@tulane.edu
Institutional No. 15
Roof plan for a two-story Convent in Jeannerette, Louisiana, for Sisters of Mercy. Roof plan corresponds to Institutional No. 14 and 13 plans., seaa@tulane.edu
Institutional No. 16
Framing details for the Chapel of Convent St. Mary, Little Sisters of the Poor, located on the corner of Prytania and Foucher Streets. Design includes rear and side elevations with cross section views looking north and south, and longitudinal section. Framing details correspond to Institutional No. 17 - 19 details., seaa@tulane.edu
Institutional No. 17
Framing details for Chapel Asylum, Convent of St. Mary, Little Sisters of the Poor, located on Prytania and Foucher Streets. Framing details correspond to Institutional No. 16 - 19 plans., seaa@tulane.edu
Institutional No. 18
Foundation and first floor plan for the Chapel of Convent St. Mary, Little Sisters of the Poor, located on Prytania and Foucher Streets. Plans correspond to Institutional No. 16 -19 plans., seaa@tulane.edu
Institutional No. 19
Second floor and roof plans for the Chapel of Convent St. Mary, Little Sisters of the Poor, located on Prytania and Foucher Streets. Plans correspond to Institutional No. 16 -18 plans., seaa@tulane.edu
Institutional No. 20
Details showing the lining at the fire doors, wainscot, and gallery front for the Chapel of Convent St. Mary, Little Sisters of the Poor located on Prytania and Foucher Streets. Details correspond to Institutional No. 16 -18 plans., seaa@tulane.edu

Pages